Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Friends Day 35

I have read Job a few times and always was focused on Job and his challenges. A little different insight this time.

Job 2:11, Job's 3 friends meet and decide to go and sympathize with and comfort him.

When they saw Job they began to weep aloud, they tore their robes and sprinkled dust on their heads. They sat on the ground with him and not a word is spoken. How long did this go on? I don't know about you but I can barely stand 5 minutes of silence. (Unless of course I am in my nothing box)

7 DAYS AND 7 NIGHTS!   Silence, nothing spoken. I guess this was Jewish custom when comforting a friend. They said nothing till Job spoke.

I think this is an awesome example of friendship in a time of need.

So what happens when Job finally speaks? His 3 buddies decide to fix him. Oh, Job, you must have committed a terrible sin. You must repent. Did they really think they understood his situation better than Job did?

I think I need to do a better job of just being there.
I think I need to do a better job of keeping my mouth shut.
I think I need to do a better job of just listening.

Maybe that was enough for Job!

Till next time... 


No comments:

Post a Comment