Friday, July 13, 2012

Hosea

When the Lord began to speak through Hosea, the Lord said to him, “Go, marry a promiscuous woman and have children with her, for like an adulterous wife this land is guilty of unfaithfulness to the Lord.”

Obedience can be difficult. Could you or would you marry a women who was an adulteress or you knew in advance she would be unfaithful?  

How about the comparison of an adulteress woman and the people's unfaithfullness to the Lord. Do you think our land is any different today? Does this comparison still apply?

The Lord said to me, “Go, show your love to your wife again, though she is loved by another man and is an adulteress. Love her as the Lord loves the Israelites, though they turn to other gods and love the sacred raisin cakes.
So I bought her for fifteen shekels[a] of silver and about a homer and a lethek[b] of barley. Then I told her, “You are to live with me many days; you must not be a prostitute or be intimate with any man, and I will behave the same way toward you.”

OK God! You want me to what? Buy her back from the man she is fooling around with? And I am supposed to love her? Are you serious? OK, I don't get it but OK.

Back to the comparison, Love her as the Lord loves the Iraelites! Even though they turn to other Gods.

This speaks volumes to me. First of all I am guilty! I am guilty of sin, of allowing other idols into my life. But the Lord loves me (you) in spite of that. He loves me (you) so much he wants me (you) to turn back to him. It does not mean there will not be consequences for my (your) sin. What more can I ask for than to have a God (the Alpha and Omega, the one true God) who loves me and wants to have relationship with me.

What do you think?

Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment